Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A New Cookie and a Favorite Dinner

I have to bring some cookies and recipe to share tonight for a church function.  It was the perfect excuse to try these fabulous babies from Sisters Cafe

The Sisters Cafe: Choco-kissed Cookies


submitted by Brittany - Sisters Cafe

adapted from: Family Circle magazine

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 large eggs

2 cups flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

48 Hershey kisses, unwrapped

Beat butter, peanut butter, sugars, and vanilla in bowl until smooth and creamy, 3

minutes. Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, and salt. On low speed,

beat into butter mixture. Refrigerate 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough into balls, 1 tablespoon each (size of a quarter).

Dip each ball into sprinkles, so one half is covered. Place sprinkle side up on ungreased

baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Bake until set, 9-10 minutes. Press an unwrapped Hershey

kiss into each cookie. Return too oven; bake 1 minute to set. Let cool slightly on sheet

on rack. Remove cookies to rack; let cool completely.

*If making M&M bites: roll dough into balls the size of nickels. Roll each ball in granulated

sugar then place on ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake 8-9 minutes then press

a single M&M into the center of each cookie. Return to oven for 1 minute.
 
 
My Notes:  Have more sprinkles than you think you will need.  I ran out and had to use pink sanding sugar for the final tray, it worked, but was not as cute.  These would be the perfect cookies to make with kids because they could unwrap all the candy and roll the cookies in the sprinkles.  Also, one small package of the Hershey's Hugs was more than enough.  I had 10 or 12 left over.  I think this would be really yummy with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup on top too.
 
I realized last night that I made a dinner my entire family actually loves.  This is a very rare thing at our house, so I thought I would post it here, because maybe there are some others out there who have picky eaters and get tired of hearing the complaints.  It is pretty much a given that someone won't like what I make, so I generally just try to ignore the comments, but when everyone is happy with dinner I figure it is cause to celebrate.  This is another recipe from Sisters Cafe.  If you can't tell, it is a favorite around here.
 
Chicken and Dumplings


submitted by Erin (The Sisters Cafe)

3 c. cooked chicken, cut into large pieces

½ c. butter

1/3 c. flour

½ tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

3 c. chicken broth

1 can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free variety works great)





Dumplings:

2 c. flour

3 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

1 tsp poultry seasoning

1 tsp celery seed

¼ c. oil

1 c. milk


Blend butter, flour, salt and pepper in saucepan. Add chicken broth and cook until thick. Stir in cream of chicken soup and add cooked chicken. Put in a 9x13 pan. To prepare dumplings, mix all ingredients together and stir until moistened. Drop rounded spoonfuls onto chicken and gravy. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes.


We had this last night for dinner and it was the perfect thing for a cold snowy night.  I should have taken a picture, but I forgot and my husband to the little bit of leftovers for lunch, much to my son's dismay.  Of course tonight I am fixing a homemade tomato soup that I think all the kids will refuse to eat.  Oh well.

No comments: